Do you dream of going into space? Do you wonder what it’s like on the moon? In Gutsy Girls Go For Science: Astronauts, readers ages 8 through 11 explore the lives of some of the world’s most amazing female astronauts, including Bonnie Dunbar, Sally Ride, Mae Jemison, and Serena Auñón-Chancellor – all pioneers in the field of space exploration. Their hard work and dedication to science and experimentation gave the world much new knowledge about space, biology, and more. These brave women took risks and pushed the limits of what we know about life in space.
Using a fun narrative style, engaging illustrations combined with photography, fascinating facts, essential questions, and hands-on projects, this book invites kids to make real-world connections and deepen their critical and creative thinking skills.
Try these hands-on STEM projects!
- Design and build a balloon-powered rocket
- Create a model of the International Space Station
- Test and record hand-eye coordination
- Create a board game related to space exploration
Support for GUTSY GIRLS GO FOR SCIENCE: ASTRONAUTS
- Included on the list of “Best Space Books for Kids 2022” by Space.com
- Included on the booklist related to the November 22, 2022 episode of the science podcast Solve It! for kids: “How Do You Talk to a Spaceship?”
A Mighty Girl Weekly Round Up
“These fascinating books’ combination of women’s history and STEM activities will encourage young readers to imagine themselves as the gutsy scientists of the future.”
School Library Connection
“A treasure trove of discovery, this interactive series promises to influence the next generation of female science stars. Glossary. Timeline. Index. Highly Recommended.”
The Children’s Book Review
“The books in this series are excellent primary resources and would be worthwhile additions to not only the personal library for future scientists but for classroom libraries as well.”